The Grant Writer serves as a critical member of the operations team and is a liaison between the organization and foundation partners. The Grant Writer is responsible for researching, preparing, submitting, and managing all government, foundation, and corporate grant proposals. The person serves as the primary grant writer, assists in managing funder relationships, engages in compliance reporting, and supports special project initiatives. This position requires strong writing, data analysis, program budgeting, and project management skills with an emphasis on clear writing and outcome measurements
Grant Writer Responsibilities
- Determines proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying request for proposal (RFPs), and attending strategy meetings.
- Prepares proposals by determining concept, gathering, and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals.
- Participates in the budget development process and maintains a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering writing, review, approval, and transmittal.
- Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information, coordinating submission and collections, and identifying and communicating risk associated with proposals.
- Develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/ deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusion, and organization credentials.
- Maintains quality results by using templates, following proposal writing standards including readability, consistency, and maintaining proposal support databases.
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers.
- Ensures acknowledgement of funders via website, Focal Point newsletter, and social media.
- Develops compelling progress reports and targeted program updates to funders that fully capture programmatic successes.
- Coordinates and leads teams as needed to ensure successful completion of proposals including timelines and budgets.
Minimum Qualifications (Degrees/Certificates)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, media, or similar field.
- Minimum of 3 years in grant writing, prospect research, and general fundraising in a professional setting required, preferably within a membership organization.
- Detail-oriented with excellent grammar and strong research skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Successful track record of grant solicitations at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Ability to understand and communicate the organization’s goals and needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with customer/client groups and/or experience in membership organizations.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated, able to prioritize multiple tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software programs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of proposal submission and fundraising process.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and work effectively with diverse populations.
- Intensive research experience using both written and electronic means.
- Able to understand and execute complex instructions.
- Ability to respond appropriately and professionally to staff and members of the public, in person and on the phone.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, juggle many priorities, and handle stress in a professional and positive manner.
- Ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality and with minimal supervision.
- Must be deadline-oriented, flexible, and extremely organized.
- Ability to travel out-of-town, by air, and overnight.
- Strong belief in the organization’s mission.
- Experienced in grant/proposal writing for the creation and formulation of plans, contracts, and proposals.
- Consistently working at desk in front of computer monitor, significant typing and data entry, majority of the day is spent indoors and sitting.
- Typical office environment