United Health Centers
Winston Salem, North Carolina • Forsyth County
May 20, 2020
High School / GED
June 02, 2020
Job Title: Medical Interpreter
Supervisor Title: Nurse Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Perform a variety of interpretation, translation and medical escort services to assist non-English speaking patients receiving care at United Health Centers (UHC).
Must be able to perform the essential skills of the job:
• Participate as a neutral party in the role as conduit of information that must flow between UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC) staff and the International or Domestic patient/visitors, face to face and through telephone communication.
• Ensure that information pertaining to the patient’s clinic visit, outpatient services, hospitalization, (i.e. advance directives, consents from treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, follow-up appointments and Health Care Education) are accurately communicated.
• The patient’s questions/concerns regarding this information is to be appropriately addressed and documented.
• Provide interpreter services, and convey the exact message as opposed to summarizing the information in a way that is subjective.
• Translations of any type of communication of UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC).
• Promote customer satisfaction related to UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC) services; notify Supervisor of any issues that may be problematic for patients or UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC) staff.
• Participate in continuing education programs and competency training. Ensure that all policies and procedures related to process, service, and employee work rules are followed. Maintain confidentiality in all matters related to patient care and visitor issues on non-English speaking patients/families/escorts.
• Maintain his/her own clinical and mandatory education requirements and for meeting the established standards of their profession.
• Provide care in a non-judgmental, non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to patient/family diversity while preserving each patient’s autonomy, dignity and rights.
• Conduct self in a professional manner at all times – this includes arriving to work on time and completing each shift as determined by UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC).
• Maintains positive behaviors, approaches, attitude, and commitment to interpersonal service toward patients, visitors, and co-workers.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Non-Essential Job Functions
• Attend and participates in staff meetings and in-services as assigned.
• Adhere to and support UNITED HEALTH CENTERS (UHC)’s policies, practices and procedures.
• Accept assigned duties in a cooperative manner and perform all other related duties as assigned by Supervisor.
• Work scheduled shifts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of computers, fax, phone and other office machines.
• Must have excellent communication skills, be able to cope with mental and emotional stress related to the position, function independently, and have flexibility and personal integrity.
• Must demonstrate an ongoing basis the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with co- workers.
• Bilingual Required(Spanish and Arabic)
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands
• Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking and repetitive leg and arm movements, occasional bending, reaching forward and overhead; squatting and kneeling.
• Must have the ability to communicate using excellent comprehension of the English language verbally and in written work.
• Work is generally performed in an indoor, well-lighted, well-ventilated, heated and air-conditioned environment.
• Work may involve some exposure to operating circumstances that require following standard or prescribed safety precautions.
• High school diploma or GED; at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Certification/Licensure Interpreter/Translator Certificate and/or Certificate of Competency from an approved Interpreter/Translator training program.
Conditions of Employment
• Must successfully pass the UHC Interpreter/Translator Medical Oral Qualification Test
• Successful candidate must submit to post-offer, pre-employment physical examination and medical history check.
Click the button for community health center specific resources on billing and reimbursement, telehealth, clinical practice, human resources, special populations, childcare, funding opportunities, and state and federal resources.