Wilmington, North Carolina • New Hanover County
April 01, 2020
March 03, 2020
SUMMARY: The Chief Dental Officer is responsible for providing dental services as well as supervising all other dental staff. The Chief Dental Officer is also responsible for representing the health center in the community, developing dental health education programs, and management and administration of dental services at the health center.
PRIMARY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: (other duties may be assigned)
1. Develop cooperative and collaborative ventures with other dental health providers, such as volunteer clinics and clinical education for assisting and hygiene students.
2. Resolve conflicts between patients and staff.
3. Provide administrative and management direction for dental services.
4. Provide dental services to individual patients of all age groups.
5. Properly document diagnoses and treatment of dental patient visits.
6. Forward encounter forms to the Health Center’s billing department for timely
7. Participate in the development of, and adherence to, the dental health care plan, clinical protocols, quality assessment and quality improvement procedures and other procedures of practice.
8. Adhere to the provision of the personnel policies of the Health Center.
9. Assess, diagnose, plan treatment and implement individual dental care plans.
10. Refer to other health care providers when necessary, including specialist for care and/or evaluation of conditions judged to require this additional expertise.
11. Maximize reimbursement opportunities from third-party payers, including commercial insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid.
Corporate Compliance: It is an essential job element that everyone be compliant with the full law and fully cooperate with the compliance program without fear of retaliations from the organization.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures as well as applicable law. Supervisory responsibilities include:
1. Dental staff including but not limited to Dentist, Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistants, and Dental Office Manager.
2. Students during their rotation through the dental clinic.
3. Dental services provided by MedNorth Health Center dental staff at all locations in addition to the main dental clinic.
4. Supervision of community dental health education programs.
ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following:
1. Provide monthly progress reports to the CEO in a timely manner.
2. Monitor and implement contracts for dental services with other community entities.
3. Complete regularly scheduled personnel evaluation of all dental staff.
4. Hold department meetings with copies of the minutes delivered to the Administrative Assistant for filing within 5 days of meeting.
5. Participate in Senior Management as well as regular Staff and monthly Board meetings.
6. At the request of the CEO, assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skills, and/or ability required:
1. Maintain membership in the dental society or association.
2. Maintain the appropriate licenses to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina.
3. Maintain the appropriate Controlled Substance Registration Certification from the Drug Enforcement Administration.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
1. Graduate of an accredited school of dentistry.
2. Minimum of two years of practice as a general dentist.
3. Participate annually in continuing professional dental education.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to speak English fluently. The ability to speak other languages is a plus.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to identify a problem, make a decision on one of the possible solutions, implement the decision, and evaluate the results.
ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL/MOTOR SKILLS: Medical terminology, accurate keyboarding skills, ability to process work error free. Ability to use standard office equipment, including computers, photocopiers, and facsimile machines.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Teamwork and communication skills essential. Treat all patients, co-workers, and managers with courtesy and respect.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS: Maintain the appropriate licenses to practice dentistry in the State of North Carolina; maintain the appropriate Controlled Substance Registration Certification from the Drug Enforcement Administration; maintain membership in the dental society or association.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear, use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The special vision requirements for this job are close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions for this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Inside a multi-cultural medical/dental clinic, which delivers comprehensive health care services, including HIV/AIDS treatment to the disadvantaged poor and underserved. The building is heated in winter and air conditioned in the summer with noise levels of moderate to loud. Children crying and screaming. Loud talking patients. Patients speaking multiple languages at the same time. Loud speaker and/or paging. May be subject to exposure to copier toner, correction fluid, bright fluorescent lighting, and continuous personal computer exposure.
This job is a bloodborne Pathogens risk Category I position.
The employee is expected to attend work on a daily basis and to be at work on time.
The employee is expected to be a team player.
The employee is expected to report absences in accordance with personnel policies and procedures.
The employee’s work is expected to be accurate, neat, and thorough, and completed on time.
The employee is expected to have a positive attitude, be cooperative, and considerate of others.
The employee is expected to be dependable and is expected to accept responsibility for assignments and duties given.
The employee is expected to dress and act in a professional manner and adhere to all safety standards.
The employee is expected to participate in staff meetings, be courteous and polite with patients and other staff.
The employee is expected to maintain confidentiality.
NOTE: This job description may be changed only with the approval of the Chief Executive Officer, however it should be reviewed at least annually between the employee and the supervisor of the position.
Click the button for community health center specific resources on billing and reimbursement, telehealth, clinical practice, human resources, special populations, childcare, funding opportunities, and state and federal resources.